Friday, March 18, 2011

right hand: "hello? left hand, are you there? what are you doing?!?!"

I got a call from a friend this afternoon - she had obvious excitement in her voice as she asked what construction was going on at our not-yet-closed-upon home.  After I freaked out and practically hung up on her as I tore out of the house, I arrived at the house - maybe 60 seconds after her phone call.  As she had said, there were trucks in the driveway and workers all over. 

Some might think this is a good thing, but what you don't know is the listing agent told us last week that noone would be entering the house again before closing.  And because someone had stolen a key out of the lockbox and had been going into the house without authorization, the listing agent suggested the locks be changed (which I did the next day). 

So, I park across the street and walk over and ask if I can help them with anything.  "Is there something I can help you with?"  And the ringleader said with attitude, "Is there something I can help YOU with?"  I explained that noone had authorization to be in the house and that we were closing in 4 days.  He showed me a work order from the bank that currently owns the house.

????

The house is being sold "As Is". 

Yeah.

I'm still confused.

So, I asked about the lock - and yes, he broke the new $60 lockset that I put on a week ago.  The listing agent has no idea why there are contractors at the house.  The buying agent has no idea why there are contractors at the house.  The title company has no idea why there are contractors at the house.  I have no idea why there are contractors at the house. 

I wish I could feel happy about there being contractors at the house, but it makes me nervous - does the owning bank even know that we are closing on this house in 4 days?  Did the listing agent bother to tell them?  Why are they fixing things?  They threw a fit when we submitted an offer that requested repairs and responded with a statement that they are only accepting offers AS IS.  What on earth is going on here?  Why are they fixing things now?  Do they have a contract with someone else?  Oh my goodness, why didn't I wonder that before right now?

Quite honestly, I'm a bit angry too.  We don't have limitless money and that $60 doorknob was going to be the permanent knob after we move in - keyed to match the other knobs that are sitting in our foyer waiting for closing next week and new doors.

All I can say is I am so confused and starting to be really worried about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment