Saturday, March 26, 2011

The first days

Work on the house has been going slowly.  Or quickly, depending on the day.

So far, we've demo-ed the basement - starting Wednesday, when the girls and I pulled up the tile flooring in the basement.  In half the basement, was this beautiful linoleum tile that looked like brick.  I hated to see it go, but it just wasn't in good shape.  Actually, it was disgusting and ugly, which is why there was no attempt to salvage it.  In the basement half bath was one-inch ceramic tile that was not very fun to get up - particularly since we didn't have the right tools - just a wonderbar and hammers.

I also discovered that the contractors who'd been at the house on Friday unlocked all the windows, which was really nice of them.  I did change the locks again on Wednesday.  I really enjoyed buying another doorknob that doesn't match with the deadbolt for the same door.  (After all the work is done, we'll key everything the same.)

Thursday, we prepped the walls upstairs for painting and I spent a couple hours weilding a razor blade and removing graffiti from a window.  I probably went back to Lowe's, too.  I'm on a first-name basis with some of the associates now.

Friday, my apprentice and I cleaned part of the second floor bathroom so we could use the sink and toilet without being icked out.  I'll wait to clean the floor until construction is done and the tub will be cleaned after the utility sink is working (we've been using the tub to wash painting supplies).  We painted the girls' room and prepped the walls in the other room up there.

My favorite part thus far is having new neighbors over for a beer while I was painting on Friday night.  Awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment